Last Updated on
Love to use French press for coffee, but find it doesn’t taste the same when you pour it in a to-go mug? We’ve got good news. The team at Gathering Grounds has chosen several French press travel mugs you can take with you anywhere!
These travel mugs come with a built-in plunger rod to give you the same texture and boldness you’re used to drinking with your French press at home. The plunger comes attached to the lid, so that you can easily remove and wash it.
They are also portable so you can take them in your hand or in the car. We’ve even found some mugs that are suitable for outdoor use, so you can take your French press on your next camping trip.
The Best French Press Travel Mugs – Our Picks
Bodum Insulated Stainless-Steel Travel French Press Coffee and Tea Mug, 0.45-Liter, 15-Ounce, BlackThe stainless steel french press mug from bodum is a perennial favorite of ours because it comes in a few fun colors.
It isn’t just colorful though, it’s got excellent quality double walled vacuum insulation and it’s even dishwasher safe!
If you hate hand washing your stuff and you don’t like the smaller options then this one is a great pick and not very expensive either.
Espro Travel Coffee Press, Stainless Steel, 12 oz (Coffee Filter, Matte Black)The Espro travel coffee press is definitely more expensive than the Bodum featured above but man it is so better – it’s worth the price.
The biggest problem with french presses is that they don’t filter out the fine particulate from your drink. This mug is different!
You will have the cleanest cup of french press coffee you’ve ever had with the Espro Press and this thing is built well too. It’s money well spent.
KOHIPRESS The Original Portable French Press Coffee Maker Vacuum Insulated Travel MugThe Kohipress is a really awesome little insulated french press travel mug that is a pretty new product.
It is a leakproof mug so you can take it with you however you want and assuming it’s closed up even when full it won’t leak, cool!
What really sets this coffee press apart is that the plunger is pressurized a bit like an Aeropress so the resulting coffee it makes is super strong. Not quite like espresso or stovetop moka but a bit stronger than you would expect from a good french press.
Did I also mention it is priced very affordably?!?
Here are a Few More Alternative Travel Mug Coffee Presses
Bodum Insulated Plastic Travel French Press Coffee and Tea Mug, 0.45-Liter, 15-Ounce, BlackPlanetary Design Commuter Double-Shot Stainless Steel French Press Mug, BlackAsobu The Hot Press Vacuum Insulated Cup, 16-Ounce, GreyGSI Outdoors Personal Java Press,Blue,20 fl. Oz
- Our French Press travel mugs normally range in price from $10.00 to $60.00 and can hold from 10oz to 20oz of liquid.
- These are mostly hand-held mugs that have a handle designed for easy gripping, or a small enough frame that allows you to carry them with ease. If one of these mugs is not hand-held, it will still be portable.
- If you need something spill-proof, look at the mugs that come with open and close lids to make sipping simple.
- If you don’t need to worry about spilling your coffee, check out our mugs that come with screw-off tops. With these, you can pour your coffee easily into an actual cup once you get to a stationary place – like your office.
- For the material, you can select from stainless steel, polypropylene BPA-free plastic, or foam-walled.
Stainless steel: stainless steel mugs provide better insulation (keeping beverages hot or cold longer) than other materials, and do not stain as easily. Many of these mugs require hand washing, so check to see if they are dishwasher safe or not before purchasing.
Plastic: plastic mugs are definitely the easiest to throw into a dishwasher or microwave; however, they stain faster and may scratch as opposed to a stainless steel mug. If you’re worried about the type of plastic, make sure the mug you’re buying is “BPA-free plastic” like Polypropylene. This thermoplastic is insulated, lightweight, shatter-resistant, and ideal for taking on long trips with varied outdoor temperatures and weather.
Foam-walled: foam-walled mugs are designed to retain heat well and are also dishwasher-safe.
Additional Perks and Information
- Each mug gives you between 1.5 and 3 servings of coffee, depending upon the size.
- If you’re looking to save money and time on cleaning, these mugs are an excellent option. Why? You don’t have to worry about putting these mugs under a coffee maker because they are the coffee maker!
- If you want French press coffee, but don’t need something on the go, refer to our selection of French press coffee makers.
- If you still want to have a travel mug but use a normal coffee maker, take a look at our variety of travel mugs – sizes of mugs range from small to extra large.
Coffee press mugs are great for travelers but they can over-extract coffee. If you want take a look at these small coffee presses where the coffee can then be transferred to a standard travel mug.